Monday, October 18, 2010

Does Study Abroad Need a Makeover?

I saw the article this morning, and it’s thought provoking.  The title suggests that the study abroad experience needs a makeover.

I am ambivalent about the angle it takes. 

Here’s what I mean. 

Clearly, the most important element of the study abroad experience is learning to communicate across cultures.  Our advisors try to get this message across to students (and parents) from the time they are considering a program through “re-entry”.

On the other hand, I think the article draws on shaky evidence that international experience doesn’t impress employers.  For every survey that suggests that, we could find at least one that suggests the opposite.  I saw a study recently that says that 30% of US CEOs had studied abroad in college.  Of those, 2/3 instruct their staff to recruit people with study abroad experience.  

I am skeptical about that finding as well.  I think many professionals tend to oversell or over-promise what the study abroad experience can accomplish for a young person.

Bottom line – it is the cross-cultural element that’s key.  Study abroad is not the only way to experience that.  It is one important opportunity.  I believe what should distinguish study abroad from “backpacking across Europe” is the academic context to help students reflect on and appreciate their cross-cultural learning.