Monday, August 16, 2010

Art in South Africa

This morning, I find myself reflecting on a recent trip to South Africa.  Working with Missouri's good partners at the University of the Western Cape is always inspiring. They are doing incredibly ambitious work in spite of serious resource constraints.

On the last day of our visit, we wandered into the South African National Gallery.  I had no expectations, except that it looked like a nice place to visit while waiting for a long flight back home.  If you ever get to Capetown, there are so many things to do.  But don't leave the city without stopping at this museum.

It's filled with contemporary works that are beautiful, vibrant, and genuine.  It reminds me of the palpable creative energy I feel each time I visit the country, and each time I work with our colleagues at UWC.