Friday, May 15, 2009

Ambassador John Bruton - MU Honorary Degree

It's graduation time at higher education institutions across the United States. This week the University of Missouri will confer approximately 5,000 academic degrees to worthy candidates.

Of course, there are many rich traditions surrounding MU graduation ceremonies. At the Honors Convocation, students with the highest academic achievement are recognized, along with their faculty mentors. We also use this occasion to confer honorary degrees to world-known leaders in sciences, humanities, business or public service. (Check here for a list of all MU honorary degree recipients).

Tomorrow, EU Ambassador John Bruton will receive the Doctor of Laws (Honoris Causa) degree. It was my pleasure to nominate Am. Bruton for this award (along with my colleague, Prof. Byron Scott - Emeritus).

As former Prime Minister of Ireland, Mr. Bruton was instrumental in establishing a number of very productive relationships between the University of Missouri and key institutions in Ireland. His efforts paved the way for me to begin my work in international research and education. My experience in Ireland and Northern Ireland has changed my life's work and friendships. For this, I'm truly grateful.