Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Google and Language Translation

For several years, I've dabbled with learning French.  I listen to French music and podcasts, watch the daily weather forecasts, read news accounts and try to follow current events.  Despite this effort, I still speak the language with the skills of my two-year old grand daughter.

If I need to comprehend a professional document in French, I must rely on heavy use of dictionaries, grammars or the services of a skilled interpreter.  If I'm really pressed for time, I've used Google translation.

Google has always been a last resort -- because I've assumed that the nuances of interpretation should not be left to machines.  Now, Google is using its data resources and incomprehensible computing power to refine its translation tools.

I was skeptical at first, but check out this test of its new capacity.

I'm still committed to learning language -- but in the meantime, I may be using Google Translation more often.